Free Consultation 248-355-2999

Auto Accidents

Auto Accident/ Truck Accident/ Pedestrian Accident/ Motorcycle Accident/ No-Fault Claims/ Uninsured Motorist Claims/ Underinsured Motorist Claims Lawyer

Car Accident Lawyer - Detroit and all of Michigan, including Wayne County, Oakland County, Macomb County, and Washtenaw County

If you have been injured in a car accident, or you have suffered the wrongful death of a family member, you need an experienced auto accident and personal injury lawyer on your side to obtain the compensation you deserve.

Posner, Posner and Posner has handled thousands of these cases.  We can evaluate your case and, if it has merit, we can take action to pursue the compensation you deserve.  call 248-355-2999 or contact us online.

Attorney Gerald F. Posner has been a frequent lecturer and presenter at Michigan Association for Justice (formerly the Michigan Trial Lawyers Association) auto no-fault seminars.

Our firm takes motor vehicle accident and personal injury cases on a contingency basis. You do not owe attorney fees until we make a financial recovery for you.

First-Party and Third-Party Claims

In car accident cases in Michigan, there are two types of claims. A first party claim is a claim against an insurance company for no-fault benefits.  A third party claim is a claim for damages, such as pain and suffering, against those at fault for the accident.

First-party claim for no-fault benefits

A first-party claim for no-fault benefits is a claim for financial losses such as medical bills, lost wages, replacement services, and other benefits.  In most circumstances, this is a claim you make against your own insurance company, but in some cases, the claim is made against another insurance company or with a state created facility.

There are short time periods to give notice of your claims for benefits to your insurer and in which suit must be filed against your insurance company.  First, you must notify the insurer within one year of the accident.  If you have to sue the insurer, you can only collect benefits one year back from the date you file suit.

Our office has decades of experience dealing with insurance companies operating in Michigan.  In the event that a dispute arises with your own insurance company, we regularly and successfully handle lawsuits to get you the no-fault benefits you deserve. Call us now for a free consultation at 248-355-2999 or contact us online

Third-party claim for damages

A third-party claim for damages from the at-fault driver, the owner of the other car, possible other responsible parties, and their insurance companies is where you can claim compensation for pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of income for more than three years, disability, scarring, disfigurement, and wrongful death.

You may lose your ability to obtain the compensation you deserve if your claim is not pursued properly and promptly.  Posner, Posner and Posner has successfully represented thousands of clients in car accident cases.  Call us now for a free consultation at 248-355-2999 or contact us online to obtain all of the compensation you and your family deserve.

Uninsured Motorist Claims/Hit and Run Accidents

Even if the other driver involved in an automobile accident with you has no insurance, or if you are hit by a hit-and-run driver, you may still have a claim.  Uninsured motorist coverage could provide you a financial recovery where you did not think one was possible.  It is important that you contact an attorney as soon as possible after an automobile accident occurs because insurance policies often place very short time periods on actions which you must take such as filing a police report (sometimes as short as 24 hours from the date of the accident).

Underinsured Motorist Claims

Underinsured motorist insurance is optional insurance coverage which provides an extra insurance security blanket to you in the event that you are injured in an automobile accident and the other party has minimum or limited automobile insurance coverage of their own.  In the event that you carry underinsured motorist coverage, or there is underinsured motorist coverage which may cover your claim, you should contact our office as soon as possible after the automobile accident takes place to have the policy reviewed by us to determine what steps need to be taken to preserve your claim.

Take Action Quickly

In a car accident or any other personal injury matter, you need to take immediate action to protect your rights.  Physical evidence and witnesses' recollections can begin to disappear quickly, and unless this critical evidence is preserved, your ability to obtain a positive outcome may be put in jeopardy. In addition, there are filing deadlines that must be met in claims for no-fault benefits, third-party claims for pain and suffering and other damages, and uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist claims.  If you miss those deadlines, your will lose your claims.

Call trial lawyer Gerald F. Posner now for a free consultation at 248-355-2999 or contact us online.

What to do and not to do if you are in an auto accident

Your health is the most important thing of all.  If there is any possibility of a serious injury, take that ambulance to the hospital and get checked.

At the scene of the accident, get the information on the drivers of the other vehicles involved, including their insurance information.  Take pictures.  Call the police and if at all possible make a police report at the scene.  If the police will not come to the scene, make a report at the police station.

If you are shaken up or feel sore or feel like you might be hurt, never tell the police that you are not hurt.  They will write down “0” meaning no injuries and that may not be accurate.  If the honest answer is “I don't know”, then that is the answer to give.  As one of our founders, legendary trial attorney Samuel Posner, used to tell clients, “You will hurt more tomorrow, more the day after that, and more the day after that” – and that was usually true.

If you are hurt, make sure to go to the doctor, tell the doctor you are hurt, and give a history of the accident and that you were hurt in the accident.  Remember that you have the burden of proof to prove that you were hurt in the accident and the extent of your injuries.  Follow medical advice.  If your doctor refers you to a specialist or for testing or treatment, follow your doctor's advice. 

What you should never, ever do in any auto accident claim, whether for first-party no-fault insurance benefits, or in a third-party case for pain and suffering, is lie.  You will be caught and your case will be dismissed.

Insurance companies and defense lawyers investigate your claims thoroughly and use surveillance.  If you say you can't drive, or carry groceries or heavy objects, or do yard work, or can't work at your job, and surveillance shows that you have lied, you may have done irreparable damage to your case.  Sometimes surveillance turns out to be of the wrong person, or edited in order to show any bad parts but not the other parts of the days when the injured person is struggling or cannot perform activities, and the case can be saved, but the safest thing is to always tell the truth.

Beware of using social media.  Think before you post.  If you post pictures of you doing all kinds of things that you claim you can't do because of your injuries, you will be caught and the value of your case will go way down.  And never say things like “I'm going to make a lot of money from my lawsuit.”  Think before you post.

And if you have any questions, call your lawyer for advice.  That's what we're here for. 

Call us now for a free consultation

Call trial lawyer Gerald F. Posner now for a free consultation at 248-355-2999 or contact us online.

Call Us First For All Your Legal Needs

Serving clients in Detroit, Michigan area and throughout Michigan, including the cities of Ann Arbor, Bay City, Belleville, Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills, Canton, Clinton Township, Dearborn, Detroit, East Lansing, Farmington Hills, Flint, Grand Rapids, Grosse Pointe, Hamtramck, Highland Park, Holland, Howell, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Livonia, Macomb, Monroe, Mount Pleasant, Muskegon, Northville, Plymouth, Pontiac, Port Huron, Redford, Royal Oak, Saginaw, Southfield, St. Clair Shores, Sterling Heights, Troy, Warren, and Ypsilanti along with these counties: Wayne County, Oakland County, Macomb County, Monroe County, Washtenaw County, Genesee County, and Livingston County.